Terms & Conditions
1. The customer warrants as follows:
(a) That the property to and from which the goods are removed by the company is owned by the customer or that the customer has obtained prior to the commencement and carrying out of the work by the company all necessary permits and approvals and authorizations to enable the company’s vehicles/or employees to enter upon such property with or without vehicles for the purposes of carrying out the company’s obligations hereunder and the customer hereby indemnifies the company in respect of any loss, claim or damage suffered, brought against or caused by the company in entering upon such property with or without vehicles.
(b) That the goods to be removed, packed, transported and/or stored pursuant to the request of the customer in accordance with the provisions of this contract are owned by the customer or that the customer has full right, power and authority to procure such removal, packing, transportation, and/or storage by the company and that no other person, firm or corporation has any other lien or charge there over or any power or authority to prevent the company from carrying out its obligations hereunder.
2. The quotation is based on the rates of exchange, government levies and taxes, scales of wages, railway, shipping and airline rates and charges ruling and/or in force at the date of the quotation. Any change in such scale or rates after the date of the quotation shall be recoverable by the company and payable by the customer in accordance with the terms and conditions for payment of all other moneys payable by the customer pursuant to the provisions of this contract.
3. The company’s liability shall be that of a forwarding agent. The company shall not be liable for any loss of, damage to or failure to produce any goods under removal caused by any delay in transit by rail, sea or air, by any strike, labor trouble, riot, civil commotion, war, invasion, Act of God, flood, stress of weather or by moths, borer, vermin, white ants, termites or other insects, damp, mildew, rot, rust, burglary, housebreaking, storm, tempest or explosion or any act of third party or cause beyond the control of the company nor for any consequential loss.
Under no circumstances shall the company be responsible for compensating the customer for any loss or damage which the customer may offer arising from the loss of value of any goods as a result of repair, replacement or loss of use or any costs which the customer may incur in obtaining either permanently or temporarily the use or enjoyment of substitute goods, any loss of profit or any other consequential loss whatsoever arising from delays in delivery, loss of or damage to or failure to produce goods for any cause whatsoever.
4. The responsibility for the company’s vehicle and its contents remains with the driver. He has the right at all times to refuse to put his person or his vehicle and its contents at risk. If the owner, consignor, consignee or shipper considers that the driver’s non-acceptance of his/ her instructions is unreasonable, that person has complete authority to place a collect call to the head office of the company in order to discuss the matter with the furniture manager.
(a) The quotation is based on the condition that there is a suitably practical road and approach for the vehicles and workmen of the company to the door of the building or other places to and from which the goods are to be removed and that the same are available to the vehicles of the company and if the goods are to be delivered to a building that they are to be delivered on the ground floor, otherwise an extra charge will be made.
(b) The quotation is based on the condition that all doors and stairways are adequate to allow the work to be conveniently carried out but the company may at its discretion use any balcony, window and /or tackle and make an extra charge therefore and the customer will indemnify the company against all claims in respect thereof and also release the company from any liability for damage either to goods so handled or to the building or buildings to or from which such goods may be taken or delivered or to any pathway, drive, grounds or access way leading to or serving such building or buildings.
(c) The company will not under any circumstances be liable for any damage to driveway, road, kerb, crossing, path or access way caused by any vehicle of the company in carrying out its obligations under the contract unless prior to collection or delivery of the goods the company shall have received a written direction from the customer that any such path, road, kerb, crossing, driveway or access way is unsuitable and that such prior written notice shall have specifically directed the company not to cross any such path, driveway, kerb, crossing, road or access way with vehicles. In the absence of any such specific written direction the customer shall have been deemed to have directed and authorized the company to cross such path, driveway, kerb, crossing, road or access way with the appropriate vehicles and the company shall under no circumstances be liable for any damage thereto or destruction thereof.
6. The amount quoted covers the services set out in the quotation and does not include the following services or work but if such services or work are carried out all of the conditions of the contract apply thereto and an extra charge to cover such work will be payable. The services and work excluded are:
(a) The taking down and putting up of fixtures, gas, electric or other fittings or blinds or lifting or laying carpets, linoleums, or other floor coverings, dismantling or installing or reassembling any electrical, audio, refrigerators, washing machines or similar equipment or waterbed, and the removal and re-erecting of any television aerial.
(b) Any storage or related charges or any premiums for insurance unless such insurance is expressly stipulated and referred to in the signed acceptance.
7. When a quotation is for specific items and/or a specific quantity and additional goods are removed, transported or stored an extra charge to be fixed by the company will be made and all these conditions will apply to such additional goods.
8. The company will not accept for removal any goods or substances which is dangerous, explosive, corrosive or otherwise likely to cause damage, loss or injury to any person or property and the customer shall be liable for any such damage, loss or injury, or costs that may be incurred by the company or by any third party through the presence of any such goods or substance. If any such goods or substance is discovered by the company it may at its discretion remove, sell, or destroy or otherwise dispose of the same at the expense of the owner, consignor, consignee or shipper and it shall not be responsible or accountable for the value thereof.
9. It is the responsibility of the customer to see that no article required to be removed is left behind that no goods or fixtures are taken away in error and that articles left in unoccupied premises are protected.. The company accepts no liability in respect of any such matter and the customer shall indemnify the company against all claims in respect thereof.
10. The company shall act as agents for the customer and/or the owner of the furniture and effects and may take any action which appears to be in the interests of the customers and/or owner for the protection of the goods and the costs of such action if taken shall be additional to the contract.
11. This contract is subject to all the conditions, stipulations and exceptions expressed in any regulation bill of lading, consignment note of contract of any railway, shipping company, airline or other carrier under which the goods are carried and to the charges levied by such railway, shipping company, airline or other carrier in force at the time and to all alterations to any of these conditions, stipulations, exceptions, or to the charges levied by any railway, shipping company, airline or other carrier before the work in the terms of this contract has been physically completed.
12. The company may arrange with any other contractor, railway, steamship, airline, dock or transport company or authority to carry out all or part of the work and terms of all bills of lading consignment notes, and other documents issued by such other parties may be accepted by the company as agents for the customer and shall be deemed to form part of this contract. The company shall transfer to the customer at the customer’s expense the benefit of such rights (if any) as the company may have against such other parties in respect of the customer’s property. The customer acknowledges, agrees and declares that the benefit of any restriction or exclusion of liability on the part of the company hereunder and the benefit to the company of the covenants and obligations on the part of the customer herein expressed apply equally for the benefit of the sub-contractor of the company which performs any part of the company’s obligations pursuant to the provisions of this contract.
13. This contract is made on the understanding that it is carried out in ordinary working hours and a charge will be made to cover any extra cost due to the part of the owner, consignor or consignee of the goods. Ordinary hours are defined as 7:30am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday, public holidays exempt.
14. Removal charges are payable prior to collection of goods at origin unless at the absolute discretion of the company arrangements to the contrary have been made with the customer in writing prior to the collection of such goods. Payment will include the whole of the quoted amount covering charges for packing, transportation, delivery and insurance premiums if any.
15. Unless at the time the quotation is accepted the customer expressly requests the contractor to arrange insurance and pays the premium for such insurance prior to shipment, the company will be under no liability for any loss or damage to any goods, either to the customer or to any third party save as expressly provided for in these conditions in such cases, the goods shall be deemed to be shipped or conveyed at the owner’s sole risk and the company will under no circumstances pay compensation if the goods are lost or damaged.
16. The effects furniture and goods the subject of this contract will be insured only if insurance is specifically requested by the customer in writing at the time the quotation is accepted. If such request for insurance is given by the customer to the company in writing the customer will simultaneously with the delivery of the written quotation to the company complete and sign the appropriate insurance proposal provided by the company and will make payment of the appropriate premium to the company together with payment of the contract price at the time and in the manner specified by this contract..
17. The effects furniture and goods the subject of this contract will be removed and handled at owner’s risk where the customer elects not to arrange in-transit insurance through Best Removals & Storage Ltd. In terms of the Carriage of Goods Act 1979 this means that the carrier will pay no compensation if the goods are lost or damaged unless he intentionally loses or damages them.
18. Neither the company nor its insurers can accept liability for the deterioration of the contents of deep freeze cabinets or other refrigerators in transit or in store. Whilst every care will be taken to ensure that such items remain operative whilst in transit or in store the possibility of power failure beyond the company’s control makes such risk unacceptable. Additionally neither the company nor its insurers can accept liability for damage or loss of pot plants i.e. these items are carried on a “all care – no responsibility basis”.
19. Except to the extent that the same have been negated or modified by the terms and conditions hereof the provision of clauses 18-27 of the Carriage of Goods Act 1979 shall be deemed to apply and be incorporated herein provided however that where any express term or condition hereof is in conflict with or contradiction to any provision contained in clauses 18-27 of the said Act then the terms and conditions expressed herein shall take priority.
20. The company shall not be liable for loss of or damage to goods under removal unless a claim is made by the owner, consignor or consignee of the goods to the company in writing in the case of the loss of goods within seven days after the goods would in the ordinary course have been delivered and in the case of damage to goods within seven days after delivery or tender of delivery. Further:
(a) Whenever the company is liable for loss or damage to goods under removal it shall have the option of replacing or repairing the goods subject to its maximum liability under the contract.
(b) A claim against the company or the insurers shall not be made the reason for deferring payment of any moneys payable to defraying any liabilities incurred by the company.
21. If the goods are delayed on route by reason of any default or wrong declaration of for any other reason or if the customer, consignor or consignee is unable to receive the goods in the premises or at the place where they are to be delivered immediately on the arrival the company shall be at liberty to unload them into his or any other storage place. Delivery at any such storage place shall be deemed to be delivery in accordance with the contract. The company shall have lien on such goods for all storage and other charges incurred up to the time that the customer shall have taken delivery of such goods.
22. All charges for storage are due and payable quarterly in advance with a proportionate adjustment for a broken period and all additional and related charges (if any) are payable with the next installment for storage after the same are incurred.
23. The company shall be entitled to recover any increases in the costs of providing storage during the time goods are in storage, such costs being recoverable from and payable by the customer upon notice thereof being served on the customer in the manner provided by these conditions and the contract shall thereupon be deemed to be varied accordingly.
24. The company shall not be bound to deliver any goods except to the customer or to a person authorized by the customer in writing to receive the goods and the company shall not be bound to deliver any goods from the warehouse without:
(a) The written order of the customer or his attorney and
(b) Payment of all amounts owing in respect of such goods
25. All property received by the company will be subject to a general lien for all moneys owing to or liabilities incurred by the company and the delivery or sale of part thereof shall not affect such lien in respect of the remainder. In respect of any period during which a lien is being asserted the company shall be entitled to charge rent and other expenses incurred and all these conditions shall apply and the company shall not be required to deliver possession of the goods or any part of them to the customer so long as any sum of money remains owing by the customer to the company pursuant to the provisions of this contract.
26. Any notice or other communications to be given or served upon the customer including any receipt or inventory may be given or served to or upon the customer personally or be ordinary prepaid post addressed to the customer at the last address of the customer known to the company and if posted shall be deemed to have been received by the customer on the seventh day following the day on which it shall have been posted.
27. It is hereby expressly declared that that it shall be a condition precedent to any right of the customer to claim against the company or any right of action or suit in respect hereof that all moneys payable by the customer have been paid in accordance with these conditions. Any such action or suit must be commenced in a N.Z. Court and N.Z. Law will apply.
28. If any rent, removal charges or other amount due to the company in respect of any goods stored by the company is not paid within three calendar months after the same shall have become due the company may give notice to the customer of its intention to sell such goods in the manner provided by these conditions for the giving of notice. If all amounts due to the company are not paid within fourteen days after the giving or publication of such notice the company may examine the goods (and if necessary break open any container) and sell them or any part thereof at public auction and for that purpose place the sale and all matters relating thereto in the hands of any auctioneer without being liable for any act or omission of such auctioneer and the company may apply the proceeds of the sale in or towards payment of the expenses thereof and the amount owing to the company in respect of such goods by the customer and any balance shall be payable to the customer. The provisions of this clause shall be read and construed subject to the provisions of the law governing the contract relating to Warehousemen’s Liens which law shall in respects have full force and affect.
29. (a) The customer fails to pay any sum of money payable to the company as and when the same falls due and if such default shall continue for 30 days from the due date of payment thereof then the company shall be entitled to charge interest calculated at the company’s current bank overdraft rate and computed daily from the due date of payment to the actual date of payment thereof without prejudice however to the company’s other rights and remedies.
(b) If the customer shall default in making payment of the whole or any part of the contract price then the company shall be entitled to recover from the customer all costs and disbursements which it incurs in recovering or endeavoring to recover such money including the fees and disbursements of any debt collection agency, court costs and legal fees in connection therewith.
30. The customer will remain personally liable for payment of this account notwithstanding either (a) the receipt by the company of an acknowledgement from any third party will be liable for payment of the contract price (b) the receipt by the company of any direction from the customer requesting the company to direct accounts for payment to any person other than the customer or (c) any acceptance of this contract by the customer where such acceptance purports to be made by the customer as agent for any third party.
31. No agent of or person employed by the company shall have any authority to alter, waive or qualify in any way these terms and conditions and any such purported alteration, waiver or qualification shall be of no legal affect, unless done so in writing by an authorized signatory of the company.
32. Acceptance of the quotation for the removal must be signed by the customer on the company’s form of household removal contract acceptance.
33. All work completed is done so on the understanding payment is due on the day of completion of the work, accounts will not be sent out after the work has been completed unless prior arrangement has been agreed.
Payment may be in Cash, Cheque, Visa /MasterCard, or by Pay clip on the day.
Internet transactions must be arranged and agreed to prior to the work beginning, Not at the completion of the work
It should be noted that all contracts entered into are on the basis that payment is received by the company or on behalf of the company by company employees at the completion of the work on the day. We do not open accounts without prior notice and normal credit criteria application completion and acceptance applies. All accounts will attract a mandatory $25.00 administration charge added. Payment is due within seven days of completion of work. All overdue accounts will attract interest at our current bank overdraft rates and charged monthly, any collection charges will be added to the original cost.