Advice for Packing with Cartons:
If the item you are moving fit in a carton, put it in an appropriate-sized carton keeping sides and top flat with clear labelling.
We suggest the following cartons for these items:
- Book Carton; records, CDs, DVDs, books, liquids, crockery and ornaments.
- Dish Pack; linen, videos, small stereos, microwaves, lampshades, etc.
- Clothing Carton; clothes and long items that have to travel flat.
Cartons must be clearly marked with arrows on sides and on top "This Way Up".
Advice for Packaging:
- Packing liquids: Check all lids for leaks.
- Glass Shelves: Remove from cabinets and wrap well. Drop wooden shelves, and stow supports in a drawer.
- Pictures, Paintings and Mirrors: Place in a carton or wrap well. Slip large paintings into a flattened box with taped ends.
- Ironing Boards and Air Driers: Tape closed.
- Legs of Beds and Tables: Remove where feasible. Stow legs in bedside cabinets or drawers.
- Fragile Items: Tissue wrap - e.g. glassware, ornaments, crockery, etc. .
- Large Wall Units and Scotch Chests: Empty contents.
- Garden Tools: Tape together in bundles.
- Washing Machines: Disconnect hoses and stow inside machine.
- Pot Plants: Drain of water and put into cartons.
Have you discontinued these services before your moving date?
- Milk delivery?
- Newspaper delivery?
- Gas & electricity?
Have you notified your change of address to:
- The post office, for redirection of mail?
- The electoral registrar?
- Your insurance company?
- Stores - where you have charge accounts?
- Relatives, friends & regular correspondents?
- Club memberships?
- Publications to which you subscribe?
- Your doctor & dentist?
- Your solicitors?
- Your church?
- Your children's school?
Have you also prepared for your move by:
- Defrosted the freezer & all other appliances ready for removal?
- Made the necessary arrangements with an electrician?
- Had your outside TV aerial taken down & dismantled by a qualified technician?
- Arranged for electricity or gas to disconnect any fittings from the supply?
- Stored all dried food in airtight containers.
- Put aside bits & pieces you don't want to take? (Why pay to have them moved?)
A few don'ts when moving:
- Don't fail to advise if you are moving any valuable antiques or paintings with your household goods. (For our mutual protection & insurance purposes).
- Don't put breakables in drawers.
- Don't put liquids in drawers (sauce bottles, perfumes,etc).
- Don't overload drawers with linen, sheets & clothing (too much weight can damage furniture).
- Don't try to move large quantities of wood. They cannot be handled in our vans.
- Don't store perishable foods such as cereals, flour & vegetables.
- The following articles are classed as DANGEROUS GOODS & cannot be stored or transported:
Ammunition, new or partially used cans of paint, turpentine, kerosene, petrol, cleaning fluids, any oil and gas bottles.
- Don't forget to drain fuel from lawnmowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, etc..
- Don't store or transport jewellery, money, legal documents or articles of extreme value. KEEP THEM WITH YOU.
NOW ONE LAST LOOK AROUND
Anything left behind? Check the attic, garden shed, garage, under the house?
Is everything turned off & locked up?